If you are an OSR gamer like I am, you like your RPGs inexpensive, at least on initial investment. Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry, LotFP Weird Fantasy BFRPG and many others have free PDFs available of their core rules and higher end PDFs as well as print versions.
I like the idea of free or inexpensive initial buy ins for RPGs, especially when one's group plays via Hangouts and the like. It's not like you can pass around a copy of the rules at the table when your players are in two different time zones (let alone two different countries).
DCC RPG is $40 for the regular edition in print and $60 for the limited edition cover and $25 in PDF
. That's a significant investment for a group of 7 if all need their own copy, especially when the game might not strike the same chords for the members of the group (it happens). Who wants to pay $25 or more for a game they may only play once or twice?
Here's some resources for players to check out and even play DCC RPG on the cheap (the GM / Judge will need a full copy of the rules):
DCC RPG Quickstart
- enough to generate characters for a funnel but little more.
DCC RPG Beta
- much closer to the full DCC RPG than the Quickstart (and more useful), but there are some changes, large and small. Probably enough there to generate PCs, so long as everything is cross checked against the full release of DCC.
DCC Resources Page
- this is where you find the DCC Reference Sheets, which includes pretty much all the charts a player needs but the spell sheets. With these sheets, one should be able to play a non spell caster without cracking open the book (once you know your class abilities - that's what the DCC Beta is for). Oh, almost forgot - not only are there character sheets here, but many of the spells have been reformatted to fit on a single sheet of paper. Not much here for clerics, but for a low level magic-user or elf, it's golden. Oh, and it's free.
DCC RPG Character Generator
- for those days your really need a quick gaggle of zero level humps ;)
Spell Record Sheet
- because your spells are personalized in the DCC RPG
The Crawler's Companion
- Charts, Spells, Funky dice - it's all here (web, phone and tablet varieties)
One Page Chart For All of Your Zero level Adventuring Needs
- Mostly ;)
Thief Skill Reference Sheet
- for your thief skills - doh!
With the above and a Judge who has a copy of the DCC RPG in hand, you should be able to get a party though a few early sessions and let the party decide for themselves if it's a game worthy of continuing (and investing in).
(if i'm missing anything, let me know and I'll add it above)
Post a Comment