[CAMPAIGN JOURNAL] The Inverted Tower of Hyél Szingh - I bring you news of glory and death from the City of Vultures! Four adventurers, sworn to take revenge for the destruction of the fair city of Avendar, h...
1 hour ago
This is a D60 table I created for my home game of core S&W but it will work with any OSR style game. The idea was to expand on the class system using a random table. Players roll on the table at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th levels. I found I wanted to jazz up the core rules a little without overcomplicating things and this table did just the trick. It adds depth to characters without the need for more complicated classes. This is exactly what I wanted. I love the simplicity and ease of play S&W offers but missed some of the elements in more complicated games. This table gave me the best of both worlds. Some of the boons can be stacked (GM’s option) if a player finds they have rolled the same boon twice.Alright, I'm curious. Its PWYW, so you can peek for free. Let's peek (note - screenshot is for review purposes only)
Welcome to the Swords of Kos Fantasy Campaign Setting, a swords-and-sorcery milieu set in a Dark Ages fantasy version of the Mediterranean and the lands surrounding it! It is set a century after a Great Cataclysm destroyed the old world, plunged it into chaos, and reawakened magic and all form of ancient races and monsters. Now, the agents of Gods and Titans struggle against each other on behalf of their masters, nations strive to survive or dominate one another, and adventurers descend into the ruins in search of wealth and lost technology.
This universal campaign setting, which represents 14 years of development and has roots in the early 1980s, is ideal for adventures of the sorts inspired by the works of Fritz Leiber, Robert E. Howard, and Jack Vance. It has deliberately been designed to be system free and compatible with any set of role-playing game rules suitable for ancient, medieval, or fantasy venues. It is the "Bible" of its world and its contents can be used either as part of a cohesive milieu or individually to enhance other campaign settings or adventures, and both by game designers and writers interested in authoring fantasy fiction. In that this setting was used as the playtest backdrop for games using the OGL/d20, Pathfinder, “Basic” Dungeons & Dragons and Labyrinth Lord retroclone, and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules, it is an especially ideal setting for them.
This book includes:Yep, there is an affiliate link above. Affiliate links keep the beer cold and the taps flowing here at The Tavern.
- * MAPS of Kos City, Kos Island, the Aegean, and the Mediterranean.
- * WORLD OF KOS, overview of the world, the impact upon it of the Great Cataclysm, and a timeline; sections on Languages, Clothing, Wealth & Money, Entertainment, Military Organizations, and Adventurer Culture.
- * KOS CITY, an overview of the community that will be the starting point for many adventures and 50 specific places adventurers might visit in it, to include taverns, training halls, and temples (and which was designed to parallel the general sorts of places described in Skirmisher's Gold-bestselling City Builder).
- * KOS ISLAND, detailed descriptions of the island of Kos, what lies around it, of its 12 major towns and villages, and of 10 specific places located on the island or smaller islets in the waters surrounding it.
- * LANDS BEYOND KOS, detailed descriptions of 16 different nations, brief entries on nine regions, and writeups on three specific places.
- * ENCOUNTERS, 21 encounter tables — 14 nation-based and seven terrain-based — that storytellers can use for inspiration and game masters can use to determine what things characters might encounter in the course of their adventures.
- * LIVES, 118 system-free biographies of personages who live on the island of Kos or the lands surrounding it and are mentioned or appear as characters in the related sourcebooks or stories about the campaign setting.
- * RACES, 17 species of people native to the world of Kos, including Antaeans, Arachneans, Bull Centaurs, Cynocephalians, and Myrmidons (along with more familiar Humans, Centaurs, Dwarves, Elves, Gnolls, Gnomes, Goblinoids, Half-Elves, Halflings, Lizardfolk, Merfolk, and Orcs).
- * MONSTERS, a section on creatures that dwell in the world of Kos and and their roles in it.
- * DEITIES & RELIGION, a section on gods and godesses, their worship, and the ongoing war between the Olympian Gods and the primordial Titans.
- * GLOSSARY of terms useful for storytellers and gamemasters using this book.
Hello. After much soul searching I’ve decided it is time to re-release this episode. I’m certain this will cause some undue stress for some people and bring smiles to the faces of others. If it disappoints you, I’m sorry, but I think this deserves to be out there. I have not changed my stance on playing or purchasing ACKS. If I do, you’ll be the second to know.
If you enjoy this trip into Mr Hobbs’ Gamerhood give us some feedback on what you think! Since the change to the new RSS we could use some review and subscriptions. Please spread the word again and let other folks know there are new episodes and where they can find them.Even if you decide not to listen to this episode, you should give Hobbs & Friends a try. Overall, it's one of the best OSR Podcasts on the interwebs.
The 4th Corporate War’s over and the big dogs have retreated to their corners to lick their wounds. That leaves everyone else to fend for themselves in a shattered world.
And that’s just fine. ‘cause you’ve got interface plugs in your wrists, metal in your limbs, and chips in your skull. You’re wired in, loaded with chrome, and ready to take it to the Edge.
There’s a world full of opportunities out there. Maybe this time you can do more than save yourself. Maybe.
The Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit is the perfect introduction to the newest edition of the classic Cyberpunk tabletop roleplaying game and includes:The above includes affiliate links. Keep the lights on and the beer cold at The Tavern by using affiliate links.
- Two booklets, one containing world lore and adventures and the other the essential rules needed to play.
- Six pregenerated characters.
- Maps and standees to help bring the world of Cyberpunk to life!