I greatly enjoyed mining For Coin & Blood for ideas for my Swords & Wizardry campaign. I hadn't realized there was a For Coin & Blood: Second Edition. I'll need to rectify that ;)
For Coin & Blood: Second Edition is normally 11.99 in PDF, but until tomorrow morning it is on sale for 2.40.
For Coin & Blood is a classically-inspired fantasy roleplaying game, which takes the direction of playing the scum and villains you normally fight inmost fantasy campaigns!
Playing assassins, cult leaders, blackguards and more, For Coin & Blood is a different look at the other side of the coin of fantasy roleplaying games. Inspired by the writings of authors such as Kate Elliot, Joe Abercrombie, Sarah Monette, Glen Cook, Anna Smith Spark, Scott Lynch, and more, For Coin & Blood is dark fantasy roleplaying about antiheroes, thieves, and assassins, rooted in the darkest recess of mankind’s depredations.
For Coin & Blood makes no pretenses about what it asks you to be. You’re the villains that other campaigns fight. You’re the cult leaders, assassins, fallen nobles, murderers, mercenaries, necromancers, and thugs.
Well, there's a lot of reasons. The first edition was our first "classic adventure" game, inspired by the old fantasy RPGs of the 70s and 80s.
But there were a few places we felt we could improve it after a few years. New content, clearer rules, smoother mechanics. It was Alan's first dive into that style of game design, and frankly, this new edition is a lot better.
Some of the new things we've included:
- Improved and clarified skill test resolution.
- Revised attribute names and descriptions to fit the theme better.
- Four new classes: The Diabolist: a cruel and dark demon summoner, the Executioner: a feared slayer of humanity, the Machiavellian: a scheming noble and plotter, and the Witch Hunter: slayer of mages and magic users.
- Improved rules for hirelings, property, and more.
- Legacy XP, so you can build your next character as you play!
- Poisons and firearms, as well as revised gear rules.
- Rules for: artifacts, corruption points, smuggling, investigations, journeys and travels, mass battles, light, increased enemy lists (including specific demons to summon and their pacts they offer!)
- A full-setting ripe for your adventures (with maps!)
We've also added over 10 pages of art by Ger Curti (which comes to something like 5 half-pages, 4 new character illustrations, enemy art, 20 spot illustrations, and maps!), a new cover by Daniel Jimbert (the cover from the Spanish translation!), a new fiction piece from gaming author Mari Murdock and lots more!
or wherever you listen to your podcast collection.