Let me get a few things out of the way. I'd rather be upfront than hear whispers in the dark.
1) Ascendant is written and published by Alexander Macris. I know there is a segment of the gaming community that has a hard-on for Alex. If you are covered by the prior statement, you can bugger off right now. This post isn't for you.
2) I consider Alex a friend. More than an acquaintance, less than a bestie. Still, it may color some of my observations, so you should be informed. Also, see Number 1, above.
3) Although I am a fan of the superhero genre, I've yet to find a supers RPG that I've felt comfortable with. At best, they've been "blah".
4) I literally just spent 55 bucks plus shipping for the Print plus PDF version of Ascendant. This is your money, the readers of this fine blog, as it was funded by affiliate monies. This is NOT a review copy.
5) Alex DID send me the first chapter of his upcoming Ascendant graphic novel in PDF. I have done little more than look at some pretty pictures at this point. I'm impressed but need more Covid-free focus before actually reading it.
6) I wanted to let my readers know that Ascendant was on sale in PDF for the next 6 days, as part of the New Year, New Game Sale at DTRPG. There are many other fine RPGs for sale too. Your purchases will fund further reviews.
7) The fucker has gone Gold in less than a month. That's pretty impressive. It's also the #1 Bestseller as I type this.
K, enough of that. I'll need to read Ascendant before reviewing it (reviews return to The Tavern in 2022). Your money will be used to review books YOU may be interested in. No obligations to do a positive spin. No "reviewer's copy so no negative reviews" bullshit. Simply honest reactions.
Here's the sales blurb:
Ascendant is the superpowered role-playing game of infinite possibilities. In this 496-page standalone rulebook, you get:
- Elegant game mechanics that swiftly simulate the physics of a comic-book world using easy-to-reference real-life benchmarks
- Color-coded challenge action resolution tables that resolve complex actions with superspeed
- Infinitely scalable system lets you play heroes of any power level, from streetfighters to living gods – and replicate virtually any character from your favorite anime, comic, manga, or movie settings
- Countless powers all customizable with an easy-to-use system of modifier tags that lets you match your power’s specifics to your character concept
- Comprehensive detective mechanics for investigating crimes, interviewing witnesses, and finding clues
- Detailed options for super-geniuses to create inventions, cure diseases, and even bring their outlandish devices into mass production
- Extensive rules for responding to emergencies such as asteroid strikes, avalanches, disease outbreaks, earthquakes, fires, nuclear disasters, tornados, tsunamis, and volcanoes
- A huge catalog of pre-built characters and objects including major military vehicles such as aircraft carriers, attack submarines, and ballistic missiles
- A dynamic mission generation system to help you create challenges for your heroes
- An optional campaign setting with ready-to-use heroes, villains, and organizations
- Spectacular artwork by industry-leading pencilers, inkers, and colorists