Yep! I applied and figured there is now way I'd get in. Seriously. I let my D&D Insider membership lapse way back when, as I don't play 4e (tho I have the books and I'd probably give it a shot with the right group).
Anyhow, I checked my email this afternoon, and there's the invite. Nice! Oh, and no non-disclosure BS either, so I'm free to post away.
My early thoughts:
- When you set up your campaign as a DM, you can indicate which D&D ruleset you plan on using, all the way back to AD&D 1e. In doesn't change the set up of the character sheet, which is 4e... but it does hold promise for the future, and an acknowledgement that earlier versions of D&D are still viable (and Wizards can still grab a piece of that pie)
- Mapping out a dungeon is a breeze with the tile system. Fog of War seems simple enough to implement as a DM (I wish some other other VTTs would catch up to that.)
- Voice is implemented, I'll have to try that out at some point
- Quick glance at the Beta Forums showed at least 2 posters looking for groups to play in a pre-3e session. One of those was looking to run Swords & Wizardry
- Players get one use pass codes to play in a session - New beta users start with 5. DMs dont need a pass
- Java based, so it's cross platform, which is a HUGE plus. I don't boot up the PC these days unless it's to do some PC gaming.
I need to do some heavy forum reading over the next few days.
If anyone reading this is in the beta, give me a shout out. Maybe we can hook up in game, even if just to push the tokens around ;)
Friday Night Videos: Songs of the White Wolf - I posted my One Man's God post today on the Melnibonéan Mythos. So I figure let's have some songs based on, around, or about Elric of Melniboné. There ar...
39 minutes ago