I'm a huge fan of Old School Essentials. OSE hits the sweet spot of familiar and accessible. It truly is a touchstone in the OSR.
Dolemwood is the new setting from the creators of OSE. It looks fantastic, and the OSE rules are included and adjusted for the setting. It launched earlier today on Kickstarter and has already surpassed $625k in funding. I'm going to predict this Kickstarter will hit $2.2 Million. You read it here first ;)
Dolmenwood is a fantasy adventure game set in a lavishly detailed world inspired by the fairy tales and eerie folklore of the British Isles. Like traditional fairy tales, Dolmenwood blends the dark and whimsical, the wondrous and weird.
Streamlined rules and helpful introductory materials guide novice players, while unique new magic and monsters bring a fresh sense of the unknown to veteran role-players. We’re launching the three Dolmenwood core books, plus a range of delectable extras.
The Dolmenwood Player’s Book (A4 size, Smyth-sewn hardcover, 192 pages approx., 1 ribbon marker) contains the complete game rules plus all character options.
- Player’s introduction to the intrigues and mysteries of the forest realm of Dolmenwood.
- Familiar character creation with the six classic stats, level and XP, Hit Points, and Armour Class.
- 6 playable kindreds: goat-headed breggles, starry-eyed elves, tricksome grimalkin cat-fairies, everyday humans, fungus-riddled mosslings, and bat-faced woodgrues.
- 9 character classes: cleric, enchanter, fighter, friar, hunter, knight, magician, minstrel, and thief.
- 4 kinds of magic: mighty arcane workings, fairy glamours and runes, holy prayers to the host of saints, and the odd knacks of mosslings.
- Detailed, flavourful equipment with lists of adventuring gear, armour, weapons, mounts, hounds, inn lodgings, tavern fare, beverages, pipeleafs, fungi, and herbs.
- Simple core rules: roll a d6 or a d20 plus modifiers versus a target number.
- Easy-to-follow procedures for travel, camping, foraging, dungeon delving, encounters, combat, and downtime.
- Full examples of play and introductory materials make the game easy to learn.
The Tavern is supported by readers like you. The easiest way to support The Tavern is to shop via our affiliate links. The Tavern DOES NOT do "Paid For" Articles and discloses personal connections to products and creators written about when applicable.