What follows are some optional rules that will be included with the Swords & Wizardry Continual Light Beta Release.
These are OPTIONAL - use or not as you see fit as a GM. Add your own or none at all.
We'll see if we can get a public release of the Swords & Wizardry Continual Light Beta PDF in the next few weeks. There are various iterations of the SWCL rules currently in playtest as well as being used as reference by creators of SWL content. We want to lock down the rules before moving on to the rest of the release.
As I've stated before, the full release will add 16 to 20 pages of adventures and setting to the 16 pages of actual rules. So, complete game and campaign material in 32 to 36 pages.
On a side note - we just commissioned a logo for the Torchlight zine. Things are progressing well ;)
Optional Rules for Swords & Wizardry Continual Light
-Start all characters with maximum Hit Points for their class at 1st Level. Helps with low level survivability.
-Allow humans to swap their lowest ability score with a 15. Answers the “Why play a human? “ question.
-Treat 1st Level Clerics as having “Zero” 1st level spells and allow them their bonus spell for high wisdom if they have one.
Here's how Perks work. After attaining 7th level, PCs can still accumulate game session / adventure "credit" for playing and they can spend this "credit" as follows:
• 1 Credit - Add 1 HP to their HP total. This perk can be bought a maximum of 10 times. Note, these are not HD and a Constitution Bonus does not apply. Also, see below.
• 2 Credits - Lower Saving Throw by 1 point. This perk can be bought a maximum of 5 times.
• 2 Credits - Cleric and Magic-user only - Add 1 First Level spell slot – This perk can be bought a maximum of 3 times.
• 3 Credits - Fighter only - + 1 to BAB - This perk can be bought a maximum of 5 times.
• 4 Credits - Cleric and Thief Only - + 1 BAB. This perk may only be bought a maximum of 2 times.
• 4 Credits – Cleric and Magic-user only - Add 1 Second Level spell slot. This perk can be bought a maximum of 2 times.
• 5 Credits - Thief Only - Add a 1 in 6 chance to Thief Skills. This Perk may only be bought once.
• 5 Credits – Add 1 HP to their HP total. There is no maximum number of times this perk can be bought. Note, these are not HD and a Constitution Bonus does not apply.
• 6 Credits – Cleric and Magic-user only. Add 1 Third Level spell slot. This perk can only be bought once.
• 8 Credits – Magic-user only. Add 1 Fourth Level spell slot. This perk can only be bought once.