|Art by +Glen Hallstrom|
Hard to believe that this is the 6,000th post here at The Tavern. I have no idea how many words that makes but its a lot ;)
I've learned much over the course of 6,000 posts and over 7 years of blogging.
- You can't please everyone. I know we've all heard this line before but it is so true with blogging. There's always some voice in the wilderness screaming out "I don't like X, you need to post more Y!" and "90% of what you post is negative and I want puppy dogs and rainbows!" I get it. Really I do. The thing is, I don't aim to be negative or positive with my posts. I aim for honest posts. My thoughts. My observations. My conclusions. For those that are looking for something The Tavern doesn't offer, there are millions of blogs out there and more than one will fill your needs. Sorry to see you go but you need a place that fits you better.
- Don't take it personal. Yep, another familiar line. You would think after 20 years as a cop, subject to large amounts of verbal abuse based solely on the uniform I wore, this advice would be easy to take, but it isn't always so simple. Some folks see a prolific blogger and OSR personality and figure they can increase their social standing by taking a few potshots. Your initial reaction IS to take it personally. I know there are times I have in the past. I'll try and do better in the future.
- Screenshot everything! If you quote someone for some stupid shit they say, screenshot it and include the screenshot in the post. It keeps them honest. This goes for G+, Facebook, blog comments, etc.
- Be an "equal opportunity offender". If you are going to put fire to the feet of those preying upon the gaming community, share the pain regardless of gender. Whether the excuse is ADD (Abusive Dishonesty Disorder), Congenital Con Crud, The Widow Defense or others, treat them all the same. Don't accuse. Spell out the facts and support those facts with, what else? Screenshots.
- Treat people as they treat you. For my community, that means respect. For certain disruptive personalities, it means disdain. Sorry. If I have no use for you, you probably had no use for me first.
- Community. Its why I post. Its the fuel that keeps me going. The wind beneath my wings. My extra-healing potion (we don't do "healing surges" in the OSR ;)
I'm working on some ideas for the future of The Tavern. It will include adding some voices to the mix, part time bartenders if you will. Hopefully it will also increase the visibility of the rest of the OSR.
Yes, I have ideas. Dangerous, I know.
Thanks for sticking around for the ride thus far and hopefully we will share the ride for a long time to come.
|art by +Denis McCarthy|